Fountain Hills American Legion Post 58 took first place at the 2019 American Legion Color Guard Competition for the state of Arizona. This is the second year in a row that Post 58 was awarded first place by the judging committee, which consisted of the Luke AFB Honor Guard team and Chairman of the Competition, Francisco Barraza.
Post 58 competed against Color Guards from American Legion Post 29 located in Glendale, AZ, Post 135 in Cornville, AZ, Post 27 in Apache Junction, AZ and Post 39 in Gilbert, AZ.
Each team was inspected on the following four items:
- Eligibility – Member in the American Legion organization
- Inspection – Inspected for eligibility, uniform and equipment compliance
- Flag Code – Basis for judging flag code violations was the “American Legion Flag Code.”
- Timing – Each team had a maximum of four minutes for the posting and retrieving of the Colors.
Then each team was judged based on:
- Execution – Commanding Officer, Unit Members and Marching and Maneuvering for a total of 20 points
- General Effect – Dignity and Military Bearing for 20 points and Showmanship for another 20 points. (Total 40 points).
The Post 58 Color Guard team will advance to the American Legion National Convention held in Indianapolis, during the week of August 22–25, 2019.
For additional information please visit AZLegion.org.